Are Seniors Really Safer at Home Alone during COVID-19?
With no end in sight for the COVID-19 pandemic, and with seniors being a particularly vulnerable population, senior living communities all across the country have been working tirelessly to make things safer for their residents. At Summerset Senior Living, we’ve already told you about a few of the many reasons why seniors might want to consider moving to a senior living community during the pandemic (and perhaps beyond). Now we would like to give you a few reasons why making the transition to senior living during the pandemic may actually be safer for seniors than living at home alone.
Before the pandemic, seniors living alone could count on regular visits from friends, family, and other caregivers. These people could do wellness checks and provide any necessary care or assistance. Now, with social distancing becoming the norm, these visits are less and less frequent. As a result, the chances of a health issue going undiagnosed or a potentially life-threatening fall have significantly increased.
In addition, unsupervised delivery people, cleaners, maintenance workers, care professionals, adult children and their kids may be a potential source of COVID-19 infection. There’s no guarantee that any of these people will be practicing pandemic safety measures like mask wearing and social distancing. Seniors who live alone can be especially susceptible to COVID-19 infection because they may not recognize the early symptoms or know what to do about them.
The staff members at Summerset Senior Living have put a great deal of effort into addressing these issues in our communities; in fact, the COVID-19 remediation plan we developed is one of the few in the state that has been approved by the California Department of Health. Because of the measures we’ve put in place, our residents can safely receive visitors and remain distanced from delivery people and other workers who have the potential to spread the virus. Here are a few of the many ways in which we’re making our communities safe for the people who live with us and their families:
- We provide constant care and wellness checks throughout the day
- All staff have access to personal protective equipment (PPE) and are trained in proper use and maintenance
- We monitor and distribute necessary medications and other medical supplies
- We have direct access to medical monitoring professionals who can transport residents to the best medical care at a moment’s notice
- Our communities offer safe opportunities for socialization
- Regular exercise, physical therapy, and other activities are encouraged and promoted
- Three nutritious meals are provided every day
- We facilitate safe, scheduled visits with family and friends, during which social distancing is monitored and enforced
- Our staff is trained to deal with health issues and knows how to care for sick residents, including those who may have COVID-19
For all these reasons and more, living in a senior living community may be a better option for seniors during the pandemic than living alone. Our senior friends and family shouldn’t have to live out the pandemic in fear and isolation. At a senior living community, they can get the care and social interaction they need to be happy in their golden years. If you would like to know more, get in touch with Summerset right away! We have communities accepting residents right now in Lincoln, CA and Rancho Cordova/Gold River, CA, so give us a call at (916) 619-0494 to request more information or to schedule a safe tour of our communities. We’re committed to keeping you and your loved ones safe during the pandemic, so give us a call today to find out more about all the amenities and safety measures we offer at Summerset Senior Living.